20 June 2007

I Love Everybody

This post title was taken from a book title by one of my favorite authors, Laurie Notaro. I like it because it speaks volumes. Before I touch on that, I have to brag.

I met Laurie Notaro at Powell's Books last night.

First off, if you have never been to Powell's 'City of Books', schedule an entire day to see it all (get your map of the store at the front desk). You will love the holy grail of bookstores.

Think: one city block, over a million books..and a cafe for people watching. Why would you ever want to leave?

Last night Powell's hosted Ms. Notaro's new book tour promoting her first novel, There's a (slight chance) I Might Be Going To Hell. Her prior books are memoirs and so comical I had to have every one. She is hilarious, a bit clumsy, approachable, warm, and quick-minded. I loved meeting her in person.

She also does something that I do. She laughs at her own material! Yay! I'm not retarded!

I found it interesting that she mentioned enjoying David Sedaris' books, but was quick to say she absorbs books to a degree that she thinks those things happened to her. To avoid plagiarism, she will not read them. Crazy, huh?

Her example was her utter disappointment that she did not, in fact, write 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' upon hearing the song on the radio at the tender age of eight. Her solution to her problem is that she buys the books to support the authors she loves and puts them on the shelf for reading at a later date.

~Bee is a biblioholic

No comments:

Post a Comment

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe