20 May 2006

collarbones anonymous

Factoid Friday has disappeared. I don't know how it happened. Factoid Friday was last seen running off into the sunset with Wikipedia, (or was it WebMD??) to start a family. Perhaps naming their first child Webster and the dog, Thesaurus. You might see them more frequently on this blog, not just Friday, so I hope they live long and inform.

The thing is I have always liked little bits of information. I store them away possibly making me the best darn Trivial Pursuit partner on the planet. So, I admit. I am a factoid junkie. Maybe I should go to Factoid Junkies Anonymous.

On a side note, why do they call it Anonymous when everyone knows why you are there and you usually tell everyone your name.

"Hi, I'm Emma."

The room echoes, "Hello, Emma."

"I'm a Factoid Junkie."

See? No more anonymous.

Body image is a huge issue throughout the USA where we are consumed with fashion, white teeth and obtaining washboard abs. Unlike the other side of the globe where the people are consumed by the notion of not being shot to death, getting their next meal and finding water for their children. I'm not trying to be funny here but the comparison is ridiculous. In light of this ridiculous, I have to post this lovely on what we base our standard on.

Magazines and pictures. I go through the checkouts too, and laugh about celebrity cellulite and Stars Without Makeup, oooh-ing and aww-ing over celebs in size 0 evening gowns.

It's really photo-editing software that women are fighting when it comes to body image.

How many teens and women are puking their lunches over images in and on the magazines we see in the checkout lines? Skeleton frames on Hollywood girls photoshoped beyond recognition...you get the idea.

I would like for you to see what really is done to these models who are 'oh, so perfect'. Make sure you see all four of the pics. It'll make you feel better when you eat that extra brownie for dessert...and it tastes sooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe