02 January 2006

Music

Since I was born there was music in my house. If I had to make a choice, I'd choose music over any other thing. Okay, not food and certainly not sex.

I grew up on Simon and Garfunkel, Jim Croche, Diana Ross, Van Morrison, the Mamas and the Papas, Peter Paul and Mary. My father also gave us a liberal dose of classical. I don't know many 8 year olds that would hear a piece of music and know that it was Passacaglia and Fugue in D minor by Bach.

Noted, a fabulously intimidating masterpiece.

Growing up I found myself drawn to other genres of music. Not just classical, but blues and big band. Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Louis Prima, Sinatra, Ella Fitz and Etta James 1960's stuff (Etta James is the ultimate in my book... "I just wanna bake your bread...).

In high school I also devoured large doses of the Cure, KC and the Sunshine Band, Duran Duran, and a good dose of Van Halen, via my overly large, shoulder held radio.

Debbie Gibson, Wilson Phillips and Cher were admittedly, favorites but I have sought help and I am better now. I also listened to Keith Green, The Imperials, and Russ Taff. I was indeed a child of the 80's but I thank my parents for giving me an appreciation for different kinds of music.

I still don't care for butt-rocker-thrasher-bang-your-mullet metal, rap or elevator music. Polka isn't high on the list either but I've been known to cut a rug to the Beer Barrel Polka now and then.

Coincidently, anything by Anne Murray makes my head explode.

Country rock and R&B are appreciated in smaller quantities if the person can actually carry a tune. Celine Dion has the most amazing voice and wastes it on the stuff she sings. (no offense intended to David "I Have Produced a Million Songs' Foster). The girls got pipes!

I have found these in the last year:

Gavin DeGraw

Norah Jones

KT Tunstall

Oojami - Bellydancing Breakbeats
(shake your booty to bellydancing techno)

Pink Martini

David Mead

Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night

No comments:

Post a Comment

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe