06 September 2008

The Incomparable Pavarotti

I cried when I got the news you had passed on. It was one year ago today. You see, celebrities do not have that effect on me. But you, Pavarotti? You were different.

I never liked opera growing up. I never took the time to really listen. It wasn't until I met Mr Coffee that I began to listen to you and opera. I found myself loving this new genre of music because I heard it for the first time.

How I miss the incomparable you. May your melodic voice live on always.

Luciano Pavarotti
October 12, 1935 – September 6, 2007



Che Gelida Manina
from Puccini's La Boheme

What a frozen little hand,
let me warm it for you.
What's the use of looking?
We won't find it in the dark.
But luckily
it's a moonlit night,
and the moon
is near us here.
Wait, mademoiselle,
I will tell you in two words,
who I am, what I do,
and how I live. May I?
Who am I? I am a poet.
What do I do? I write.
And how do I live? I live.
In my carefree poverty
I squander rhymes
and love songs like a lord.
When it comes to dreams and visions
and castles in the air,
I've the soul of a millionaire.
From time to time two thieves
steal all the jewels
out of my safe, two pretty eyes.
They came in with you just now,
and my customary dreams
my lovely dreams,
melted at once into thin air!
Bu the theft doesn't anger me,
for their place has been
taken by hope!
Now that you know all about me,
you tell me who you are.
Please do!

9 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

Wow. I had no idea.

A legend...

Gwynne said...

He is missed! I was never an opera fan growing up either but The Three Tenors changed that for me. They played for our wedding (on the boom box ;-) Can they possibly go on as The Two Tenors? I don't think so. :-(

McBunni said...

I don't know what to say.

It makes me sad he's no longer with us. Thank God for recordings!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

There's something in that music that makes me goosebumpy and feel like I can just take off and fly.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ahh sweetie that was lovely.

eyes_only4him said...

its been a year already?..wow...

Unknown said...

I loved his voice...note to self...add to iPod...I can never think of what to put on my iPod except for the same ole, same ole.

I tagged you on my blog today...I'm working on being a better blogger...still.

Your last post...so funny.

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahaha. We'll see who laughs last in November. Actually, your politics is the only thing I can hold over your head since I'm green and way organic and we like much of the same movies and music. Bread and Tulips is one of my most favorite movies.

Have you read Ladder of Years?

Anne said...

Thanks for sharing that. My kids really enjoyed it. I recenlty watched a special about him and it was really good.

Post a Comment

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe