20 March 2006

Slainte!

Slainte!
traditional Gaelic drink toast
pronounced SLAWN-CHAH
meaning "to your health" or "cheers"

I had a super St. Patrick's Day. I decided to go with a traditional Irish dinner and made some corned beef. That had to be some of the most disgusting looking pot of boiling stuff this side of toe jam. It had grayish-brown bubbles on top and murky water that it cooked in. Click on the picture to enlarge it. Hungry yet? It turned out well though.


We had it with
sauerkraut, pratties (potatoes) and homemade soda bread. Topped off with a couple sips of Guinness which is indeed a meal in itself. (Motor Oil anyone?). I couldn't finish it. Hubby doesn't drink beer either so my neighbor became the happy recipient of the rest of the bottle.

My kids wanted to try a sip of my measly ¼ glass of beer. Me, being the control freak I am would rather have my kids try a sip of their first beer and hate it. They would then stay away from it. Right? They wouldn't want to sneek it at 15 when they are at a friends house and drink by peer-beer pressure. (okay, let's leave my childhood out of it) We never have beer at our house, unless I buy a rare can to condition my hair or to make beer bread. So, I thought I'd do something smart. The Super Parent outsmarts her kids once again!

My 9yr old and 7 year old tried it. "BLECH!!!!!!!!" I get the same response from hubby. My adventurous 6 year old takes a sip, "THAT'S GOOD!".

Darn his tastebuds! I somehow saw this going a different direction than it went. He was supposed to dislike it! Be disgusted by it. Despise it. Hate it and never try it again until he was a full grown adult. Kids can be so grown up when you least expect it. Needless to say, no more beer for the little hops and barley lover.


We also watched Ronin which has a couple of fantastic accents, along with some fantastic actors. If you haven't seen it, rent it. It's one of my favorites. Hubby and I talk to each other in an Irish brogue on occasion and especially after watching Ronin or The Quiet Man with John Wayne. Accents make me giddy. I wanted to be Maureen O'Hara when I was little. I even took a test to see how Irish I was.

You're 80% Irish


Congratulations, you're a shining example of an Irish lass (or lad).
There's hardly anyone more Irish than you!

How Irish Are You?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe